As part of the university's commitment to economic development and outreach, CTL hosts a variety of events to create connections between the Cornell campuses, industry members, entrepreneurs, and investors.
On April 8th, attendees from across the region gathered at Ithaca College, in Ithaca, NY, to find out what Upstate New York has to offer in the field of bioscience. Unique individuals representing various sectors of life sciences shared their experiences and advice during one general panel and three organization-specific, concurrent panels. Attendees had the opportunity to ask questions, network, and gain an idea of what the future holds for them in the bioscience industry. Bioscience-related companies from a 15-county region of Upstate New York were in attendance to meet with prospective employees to review their skills, give them advice, discuss opportunities, and screen for employment.
Dr. Jonathan Cheetham, a Research Scientist from Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine, gave a keynote address during the event. He spoke about his research, how he ended up where he is today, and how advances in science affect us all.
Panel 1: How to Land a Biocareer Job
- Linda Kniebel, Sr. Business Representative, Kelly Scientific Resources
- Gary Morris, Interim Director, Career Services at SUNY Oswego
- Sharon Van De Mark, Human Resources, Cornell University
Concurrent Panel A: Life Science Careers in Business/Industry
- John Boger, Partner, Heslin Rothenberg Farley & Mesiti
- Anne Marie Mullin, Vice President of Business Development & Marketing, Lab Alliance of Central New York
- Sue Pearce-Kelling, President & Manager, OptiGen
Concurrent Panel B: Life Science Careers in Research/Academia
- Mary Beth Curtin, Associate Director, Binghamton University's NYS Center of Excellence in Small Scale Systems Integration & Packaging
- Mike Haaf, Associate Professor of Chemistry, Ithaca College
- Jeremy Luterbacher, PhD Candidate, Chemical Engineering, Cornell University
- Steve Youngentob, Associate Dean, College of Graduate Studies at Upstate Medical University
Concurrent Panel C: Life Science Careers in Government/Non-Profit
- John Clancy, Senior Forester, NYS DEC Division of Lands and Forests
- Richard Kissel, Director of Teacher Programs, Paleontological Research Institution and its Museum of the Earth
- David Newman, Ithaca College Health Center
To view the panelist bios, please click here.
To view photos from the event, please click here.
This year's exhibitors included Laboratory Alliance of Central New York, iSciWNY, Kelly Scientific Resources, Cornell University Recruitment & Employment Center, e2e Materials, Optigen, LLC, NovaSterilis, Transonic Systems, Aerotek, School of Information Studies, Syracuse University, Phoenix Equipment, and PharmAssist, Inc.